Close Menu
  • Home
  • Recent News
  • Global & National News Updates
  • Business & Finance Insights
  • Technology & Innovation Trends
  • More
    • Health, Wellness & Lifestyle
    • Entertainment & Celebrity Buzz
    • Sports Highlights & Live Scores
  • Privacy Policy
What's Hot

Davido Hints at Next Step after Joining Politics, Fans React Strongly

May 7, 2026

West Ham linked with move for Utrecht star Souffian El Karouani

March 2, 2026

Ronaldo left frustrated as Al Nassr collapse late during title-decider vs Al Hilal

May 13, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Global Hublet Monday, May 18
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Home
  • Home
  • Recent News

    Erin and Ben Napier Divorce Rumors: Are the Home Town Stars Headed For Splitsville?

    May 18, 2026

    Incumbents swept aside as new faces rise in Nasarawa APC primaries

    May 18, 2026

    The Night Pans Labyrinth Changed Cannes Forever

    May 18, 2026

    Its been 2 years – Man shares what cousin caught his wife doing in their bedroom

    May 18, 2026

    Sydney Sweeney & Scooter Braun Go Instagram Official With Inexplicable Relationship

    May 18, 2026
  • Global & National News Updates
  • Business & Finance Insights
  • Technology & Innovation Trends
  • More
    • Health, Wellness & Lifestyle
    • Entertainment & Celebrity Buzz
    • Sports Highlights & Live Scores
  • Privacy Policy
Home»Entertainment & Celebrity Buzz»The Night Pans Labyrinth Changed Cannes Forever
Entertainment & Celebrity Buzz

The Night Pans Labyrinth Changed Cannes Forever

AdminBy AdminMay 18, 2026No Comments9 Mins Read

When Guillermo del Toro arrived in Cannes withPan’s Labyrinth20 years ago, he was not expecting a triumph. He was expecting to be ignored.

Del Toro’s dark, ravishing fantasy set in Francoist Spain — which had taken years to finance and produce, endured a brutal production and emerged from post barely in time — was the last film to screen in competition at that year’s festival. “A lot of the press was leaving,” del Toro recalls, speaking toThe Hollywood Reporterin Cannes, where he returned to present a newly restored 4K version of the movie, as the opening film in the festival’s Cannes Classics selection. “I was thinking: ‘How many people are going to show up for this, on the final day?’ Then the screening was packed,  packed!”

What followed is now festival legend. The film ended with what del Toro describes as “an explosion of applause that is the largest and most emotional I’ve ever had in my life” — a standing ovation that ran to 23 minutes, a Cannes record that still stands. “Twenty-three minutes is a commute,” del Toro told the audience at the Classics screening on May 12, in the Debussy Theatre. “You know, like the time to go from your office to your house.”

He was not prepared for it. “Normally Cannes is very circumspect,” he said. “You either get no sound or you get aggressive sound. But rarely do people react to the screen loudly, and then they start reacting. And then it gets more and more emotional.” Standing there, receiving the ovation, del Toro found himself unable to take it in. “In spite of my great body, I’m not used to adulation, it’s very hard for me to take in love,” he told the Cannes audience. “But Alfonso Cuarón was there with me, and he said, ‘Let it in. Let the love get in.’ ”

The journey to that moment had been, by del Toro’s account, extraordinarily difficult. “This was the second-worst filmmaking experience of my life,” he said at the screening, “the first one being makingMimicwith the Weinsteins.” Preproduction had been a struggle — “nobody wanted to finance it” — and the production itself piled on additional problems. “It was very difficult in preproduction, difficult production, difficult postproduction. Everything.” They arrived at Cannes, he said, “basically just in time with the print.”

The film they brought was something unlike almost anything else in competition that year. Set in 1944 in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War,Pan’s Labyrinthfollows Ofelia, a young girl living with her pregnant mother and her new husband, a brutal Francoist captain played by Sergi López. In the labyrinthine woods near their military outpost, Ofelia encounters a faun who tells her she is a princess from an enchanted world and gives her three dangerous tasks to complete before she can return to it. Del Toro intertwines her magical quests with the real-world underground struggle of the Spanish Republicans, suggesting — as in much of his work — that imagination is a form of resistance.

Guillermo del Toro and the cast of ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ at the world premiere of the film in Cannes on May 27, 2006.

Pascal Le Segretain

Ivana Baquero, who played Ofelia, was at the Debussy Theatre for the Cannes Classics screening.

“Ivana was about 10 or 12 when she made the movie,” Del Toro notes. “She’s now 30. And I was 100 pounds lighter.”

Looking back, he sees the 2006 competition — in which Park Chan-wook’sOld Boyalso screened in competition — as a turning point for the festival itself. “Old BoyandPan’s Labyrinthmarked a big shift,” he said. “This is early days at Cannes of changing the mentality of the programming from the 10 or 20 directors that normally came to Cannes.” He noted that he had been to Cannes before, withCronosin 1992, as had fellow Mexican director Alejandro González Iñárritu withAmores Perros, “but always in the sidebar sections, not in competition.”Pan’s LabyrinthandOld Boywere the start of Cannes embracing genre-inflected cinema from beyond Europe and the U.S.

The Cannes premiere ofPan’s Labyrinth, and the momentum it generated, set the film on a path that few could have predicted. It screened next at the New York Film Festival, “another very circumspect festival,” and received another standing ovation. Then Toronto. “It was really the beginning of people realizing there was something there,” del Toro said.

The film went on to receive six Academy Award nominations, winning three — for best cinematography, best art direction and best makeup. Made for under $20 million, it went on to gross $83 million worldwide.

Returning to the film for its 20th anniversary, del Toro found it still held up.

“I was quite taken about how beautifully physical the movie is,” he said. “Back then, just as we did withFrankenstein, I was determined that every set was going to be built. We were going to handmake this movie. We did not shoot on location except for the forest. We built every set, every prop, built every piece of furniture. I wanted it to be, as much as possible, something fabricated. Because there was a sense of design to create a juxtaposition between the imaginary world and the round, warm colors and the cool, straight lines of the captain’s world.” Seeing it again, he said, “I was very impacted, just feeling how the craftsmanship is beautiful.”

Guillermo del Toro directing ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ stars Sergi López and Maribel Verdú.

Courtesy of Warner Bros.

That includes the film’s at-the-time groundbreaking blend of animatronics, with in-camera and digital visual effects. Del Toro has left them all untouched.

“The only film where I feel I did an effect that failed was onBlade II. There’s a digital shot in there that’s bad, and it will always be bad, because it was not well conceived and it was too ambitious. But there’s nothing I would change inPan’s Labyrinth.”

The new restoration will release theatrically in the United States via Cineverse and Fathom Entertainment. StudioCanal acquired international rights to the film and will release the restored version theatrically in key territories — Germany, the U.K., France, Benelux, Australia — this autumn, followed by premium Collector’s Editions in those markets. Mexican exhibitor Cinépolis will lead theatrical distribution in Mexico and across Latin America. StudioCanal is handling international sales rights for the restored version.

The theatrical run launches Oct. 9 — del Toro’s birthday.

The October release will also include, for the first time, a 3D version of the film. Del Toro has been working on the conversion for months and it is, by his account, still in progress.

“My idea is, what can have people that experienced it in theaters say, ‘I want to experience it in theaters again’?” he explains. The way he shoots — heavily composed foregrounds — made him feel the material was well-suited to the format. “I always, as when I was watching it and we were placing the fairies in the digital effects, I always felt, ‘Oh, this would be so great if it had depth.’ ” He also saw a conceptual use for it: “I said, ‘Oh, I can use it as an element of depth’ — when she is in the real world, it’s a little more shallow, and when she is in the imaginary world, I can have a little more depth. And I thought it could be used expressively.”

The conversion is being handled by SDFX Studios (formerly Stereo D), the same company del Toro worked with onPacific Rim. “For me, the best version ofPacific Rimis the Imax 3D version,” he said. “I feel you haven’t seen the movie if you haven’t seen it in Imax 3D.” CalibratingPan’s Labyrinthto achieve a comparable result has been painstaking. “It is taking many months because it has to be very carefully calibrated. You don’t want to overdo it. You don’t want to underdo it. The separation of elements has to be really carefully done for it to pop.” The 3D, he noted, “is gonna take us a lot of many more months to finish.”

One reason the film continues to find new audiences, del Toro has come to understand, is structural rather than cultural. Unlike most of his other work,Pan’s Labyrinthdoes not age alongside its fans, but finds purchase with each new generation.

Ivana Baquero and Doug Jones in ‘Pan’s Labyrinth.’

Picturehouse/Courtesy Everett Collection

“If I talk to somebody that likesHellboyorBlade, they’re 20 years older than when I launched it,” he says. “But if you talk to someone that lovesPan’s Labyrinth, most of the time you get a bunch of them are young people. For some reason it connects with the strength of being young, when the world is telling you that you’re wrong and you know that you’re right. I wanted to put it out in the world in a big way so that I can keep connecting with the spirits that remain young.”

He also has broader convictions about the value of bringing restored films back to cinemas. “I think the future of theatrical is a mixture of reissues and new movies,” he says. “The European model of the art house that exists very much enmeshed in the distribution and exhibition system — it’s such an interesting model, and it doesn’t quite get embraced outside of Europe, but I think it’s very promising.” He reaches back to his own filmgoing past: “I would see the Hammer horror films opening weekend, and then three years later they were back in a double program or something. And it was always great — you wanted to revisit them. You putRoad Warrior(1981) out there on a big screen, and I’m there. You putThe Devils(1971) by Ken Russell in theaters, I’m there.”

Twenty years after the longest standing ovation in Cannes history, del Toro is still making the same arguments he articulated inPan’s Labyrinth: ghat imagination is not a luxury, and that we have to resist giving in to fascism, to fear, to the idea that human creativity is replaceable.

“We live in times where they tell us that what we are facing is so formidable that it is useless to resist, and that art can be made by a fucking app,” he told the Cannes crowd ahead of the screening. “I feel [that] like the girl Ofelia inPan’s Labyrinth, we can hope to leave a mark. If we can put our faith against their faith, and our strength against their strength, there is hope. We have to give in to one of two forces. We can give in to love. We can give in to fear. Never, never, never give in to fear.”

Cannes LabyrinthChanged NightPans

Related Posts

Erin and Ben Napier Divorce Rumors: Are the Home Town Stars Headed For Splitsville?

May 18, 2026

Sydney Sweeney & Scooter Braun Go Instagram Official With Inexplicable Relationship

May 18, 2026

As Hollywood Pulls Back, Northern Ontario Steps Up

May 18, 2026
Top Posts

Court bars former Governor Jolly Nyame from 2027 elections

May 7, 2026

Sources: Newcastle United involved in talks with versatile Real Madrid star for late move

February 1, 2026

Reporter reveals what Harry Maguire did immediately after injury setback | CaughtOffside

March 1, 2026

INEC updates portal, recognises David Mark-led ADC leadership after Supreme Court ruling

May 1, 2026

Kevin Hart Employees Describe Chaos, Layoffs Within Business Empire

May 12, 2026
About Us
About Us

Global Hublet is a trusted news and information platform delivering reliable updates on global events, business, technology, health, entertainment, and sports, helping readers stay informed with accurate, engaging, and SEO-friendly content every day worldwide audience.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram LinkedIn WhatsApp
Featured Posts

Erin and Ben Napier Divorce Rumors: Are the Home Town Stars Headed For Splitsville?

May 18, 2026

Incumbents swept aside as new faces rise in Nasarawa APC primaries

May 18, 2026

The Night Pans Labyrinth Changed Cannes Forever

May 18, 2026
Most Popular

'Serious option' – Chelsea step up efforts to beat Man United to potential £50m transfer

May 14, 2026

'Well-built central midfielder' is being eyed by Man United to solve midfield issues

May 12, 2026

€120m Manchester City target now available and could majorly shake up the transfer market

May 15, 2026
Global Hublet
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
© 2026 Global Hublet. Designed by Global Hublet.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.